Monday, November 8, 2010

Excuse Me...I didn't really need to see that.

On Saturday we attended our Childbirth Express class. We weren't quite sure what to expect but I think we both learned quite a bit and left feeling more ready for the arrival of Baby W. So, by that measure I'd say it was a success.

There were 10 couples total. I think the room was almost exactly split with the couple having boys vs girls.  We were the only ones that have not yet learned the sex.  We had the girl that had a question for EVERYTHING. Her husband also chimed in quite frequently (usually his questions were actually relevant and good questions) and her Mom. Yep, her Mom attended childbirth class as well since they will both be her labor partners. Mom also had an antecdote or a question for everything regarding labor. They were quite the family.  Here are some of my favorite examples of the questions she asked: 

1. "I work an hour away from the hospital, if I determine that I'm starting labor should I drive home or should I get someone to drive me?"   Then Mom asked if her daughter should drive to her house (only 20 mins away) and then she could drive her the rest of the way. Common sense does not appear to be very common.
2. "How often do nurses use pushing down on the stomach as a way to help when pushing during labor?"  This is not something I've every heard of ....like the baby is in a roll of toothpaste and you can just push it from the outside???
3. When they do the ID bracelets for the baby...can I request to watch?  (Keep in mind the instructor just told us they do this while the baby is still in the room).
4. "Do I have to nurse the baby right after the baby is born if I want to breastfeed?"

Highlights of the day for me:  Learning a few new massage techniques, Spending the day together thinking about how soon this will all be happening, Official Tour of The Birth Place, Finally feeling more prepared and ready!

Low Point: Yeah...the video.  We're going to be experiencing the "miracle of childbirth" soon enough... I didn't really need to get up close and personal with the ladies on the videos. Also, there was a guy on the video who wore his dress shirt buttoned up with his suspenders on for the whole dang thing. My thought is if I'm going through labor I really don't need my husband dressed up like it's picture day. It's really not fair. 

So, that is my summary of Childbirth class. I'm very happy that we attended and I'm still trying to figure out if I should take some more classes the hospital offers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment