Without further ado here is what I found about my procedure. Also, you were right Mom. I was wrong. I hate saying those words and I hate typing them.
How is the sinus lift procedure performed?
The sinus lift is a surgical procedure. The specific technique that the dentist utilizes can vary depending upon their training and experiences but traditionally the procedure has been performed as follows:
The dentist will make an incision in the patient's gum tissue on the cheek side of their upper jaw in the area where the placement of the dental implant is planned (in the region originally occupied by the patient's bicuspid or molar teeth). This incision allows the dentist to flap back the patient's gum tissue and expose the jawbone that lies underneath.
The exposed bone is cut in a fashion where a "trap door" of bone, hinged at the top, is created. This movable section of bone is then pushed gently inward and upward into the sinus cavity. This bone movement caries the sinus membrane attached to it with it, thus "lifting" the membrane (and hence the sinus floor) to a new, higher level. The empty space underneath the lifted sinus membrane is then packed with bone-graft material thus providing the new bone into which the tooth implant will be placed.
Once the bone-graft material has been positioned the gum tissue is stitched closed.
In some instances it can be possible that the dentist will place the dental implant at the same time that the sinus lift is performed. In most cases, however, a dentist will allow a healing period of six to nine months before the dental implant is placed. The specific time frame allowed for healing is dependent upon the type of bone-graft material that has been utilized.
I couldn't get the right pictures so these will have to do. The first picture is the sinus. The second picture is what we don't want to happen...the sinus and the implant with no bone graft to attach the implant. I wasn't able to successfully save the picture of the implant+bone graft+lifted sinus.

When are you having this done?
ReplyDelete