I am so grateful for all the memories I have of her. A few worth mentioning:
1. Driving Grandma Alma and Muriel to St. Cloud (with both of them in the backseat-giggling like teenagers) so they could cheer on Uncle Scott at Clown College. My cousin Pat and I sat a few rows back due to a mutual disliking of clowns while they sat in the first row thrilled to be a part of the show. They also decided that one of the clowns was Uncle Scotts friend Bob...which was definitely not the case and so the whole show they were yelling at "Bob."
2. My Mom's wedding in August 2002. Mom had a friend run a Karoake machine for the entertainment. We all sang lots of songs but the most memorable was when Grandma grabbed the microphone and did a duet with my friend Erin and sang "Who let the dogs out."
3. Numerous weddings where Grandma challenged many other guests by asking "How low can you go?" during the Shout song where everyone goes low during the whispered parts.
4. Grandma had a knack for getting other people to get her drinks by shaking her ice cubes in her glass and saying "there is something wrong with my drink."
5. Of course everyone knows Grandma made excellent cookies and she treated many of my friends in high school and college with her excellent chocolate chip varieties. I know my college roommates enjoyed more than a few when I'd bring some back after an afternoon visiting Grandma.
6. I remember Krista calling her Gramma Nurse. I never really felt comfortable calling her that. It was always Krista's thing.
7. Gramma had a fall in the winter when I was about 10 or 11. Gramma came to stay with us. I think Krista was getting ready for a Homecoming dance and Gramma embarrased her because she was in the bathroom with her friends and Gramma knocked (which is kind of impressive because I remember her just walking in a few times) and asked "Are you on the pot?" But mostly I remember getting my bedroom back because Gramma had gotten my room. When I went to bed Gramma had tissues tucked under the pillows. Gramma never threw anything away that could be used again.
It was obvious at the funeral how much everyone loved her. The service was really a celebration of her life. My mom, Aunt Mary and I sang "In the Garden." Mostly, I'll give credit to the accordian...which Gramma would have loved. It's hard to be very sad when there is an accordian playing the music.
My cousin Scott read a poem that Gramma tried to live by everyday. This was a card Gramma received from her sister in the 40's while Gramma was at Nursing School. She was having a difficult time as 2 of her brothers were sent to WWII and Gramma was asked to leave Nursing School because she left the premises to say goodbye to her brothers being sent to war. Of course, she didn't leave and graduated from nursing school in 1944. It really is too good not to share.
Here it is:
I know the print is small. You should be able to click on the image to see it better.She has left an amazing legacy.
No comments:
Post a Comment